Crazy Idea! I should start a cycling blog!

I’ve wanted to start a blog for about as long as I could remember, but I could never figure what I wanted to write about, or who I wanted my audience to be – do I post recipes and talk for ages about the many ways to roll dough? Do I talk about the trends in the economy that have ultimately led it to where it is today? CAT PICS?! Not a clue! Until recently that is.

Was chasing the sunrise near Fentress Airfield in VA! This was a seriously cold ride.

I’ve been a road cyclist for nine years now, it’s something that has always been there for me, and has never lost its magic. Whenever I’ve been happy, sad, angry, lost – my bike gave me something to throw all that raw emotion into. I started with triathlon, but having a very one track mind I soon saw that I was best at cycling and began to capitalize on it. Over the years I slowly grew into faster, stronger and mentally more capable rider than I ever thought I could be capable of – and I’ve gotten to share that passion along the way, which has ultimately given me the most satisfaction.
I opened myself to a new facet of road cycling in the spring of 2017, competative cycling. In a short two years I’ve launched myself into a world of circuits, criteriums, and endless amounts of road rash or so it seems. My competitive side loves the rush of racing. My emotional side (cried during all the How to Train Your Dragon movies, no shame) loves chasing sunrises and connecting with other riders. And my logical side has a figurative hard on for bike maintenance – at twenty four years old it would appear that I have found my niche.
Something I consistently say to myself, a mantra of sorts when I ride is the phrase “Earn Your Tailwind”. To me there’s nothing that beats the rush of cruising down the road on a vehicle powered by pure happiness and ATP, with mother nature herself egging you on. But oftentimes to get that experience you need to struggle through some nasty headwinds. And it sucks! My legs hate it. I hate it. My bike hates it. My brain wants me to turn around and go home eat a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and get in my bed. And I want to listen to it! The flying spaghetti monster knows I have too! The mantra “Earn Your Tailwind” has almost always helped pulled me through the worst of headwinds. I’ve started to look at life the same way, and have found solace in doing so. So with this blog, I want to encourage you, my dear reader, to earn your own tailwind. That being said, I love coffee, have an insatiable case of wanderlust, and like food. So those things might pop up too.

Cheers to wherever you ride!

Michael

16 thoughts on “Crazy Idea! I should start a cycling blog!

1. sittingintransit April 4, 2019 — 8:25 pm

Thank you!!

1. Seems like a great idea! Love the pic. Looking forward to reading more from you. 😊

1. sittingintransit April 4, 2019 — 8:26 pm

Thank you for reading, Irene!

Liked by 1 person

2. Sometimes the tailwind doesn’t always appear even when you’ve earned it. But after riding 9 years, you know this! Like the name and looking forward to reading more.

3. The push bike must be one of the best transport inventions ever. Cheaper to run than a car and less mess than a donkey.
    My own form of cycling is what I call: “Pootle”. Slow, sedate cycling (a tailwind would hardly make a difference to me). Mostly along former railway lines, of which there are quite a few here in the UK; silver-haired cyclists passing me at speed (relatively). I guess you would just be a blur……

Liked by 1 person

1. sittingintransit April 4, 2019 — 8:27 pm

The beauty in that is the tranquility that comes with that style of riding, beautiful all the same!

2. Peter, I think I’m a pootler too. But I’m noticing the difference in my strength, stamina and ability as I’ve started to cycle a little more frequently

4. Good stuff. Love the mantra. I’ll have to use it tomorrow as 16 mph winds are in the forecast. Yesterday’s ride has me itching for more. Sounds like we share some interests. At 61, I’m a little late to the game. But still love to play.

1. sittingintransit April 10, 2019 — 3:10 pm

Thanks denny! I’m not sure when exsctky I started saying saying it to myself, but it’s a pretty good one. 16 is quite fast! I’m sure your ride back will be fantastic. I believe that playing is what’s important, age is just a number when we all ride together. I love the “Caffeinated Athlete”.

5. Keep the posts coming! I’m usually on a folding Brompton which can travel by train, even in the (c)rush hour, but Abel the grandson has to ride behind ne on full sized machine. Even a couple of miles per day are worth getting out for.

1. sittingintransit April 11, 2019 — 2:01 am

I agree completely! If there’s time to ride, I’m riding. Usually it’s for speed, but occasionally I pull the wahoo off and just ride to watch the world go by.

6. Start blogging with your passion, good job.

Liked by 1 person

1. sittingintransit April 21, 2019 — 3:29 am

Thanks! There are so many rides where I find myself wishing I could share a moment(s) with someone – this seems like a pretty good way to!

7. I love your mantra and website name: “Earn Your Tailwind” I’m in the process of developing my site and noticed you liked my very first blog post. Thank you! I’m happy to be connecting with awesome blogging cyclists. Here in Minneapolis, MN I’ve been on subzero rides (Fahrenheit). As long as I cover my skin I stay warm because I’m moving.
    Looking forward to reading more of your stories! Ride on 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. sittingintransit April 25, 2019 — 10:55 am

I’ve been meaning to reply to this for a bit now! Life gets hectic sometimes. You’re a trooper! Sub zero to us in the south means cozy blankets and hot drinks! Keep on keeping on!

Liked by 1 person